The Federal Government has announced the following assistance initiative:
Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment (AGDRP):
- Immediate one-off financial assistance of $1,000 per adult and $400 per child;
- Claimed through Centrelink; and
- Applications close 4 July 2011.
This payment will be made available where:
- A person is injured; or
- A person is an immediate family member of an Australian killed as direct result of the disaster; or
- A person’s main residence has been destroyed; or
- A person’s main residence has sustained major damage; or
- A person is unable to gain access to his or her main residence for at least 24 hours; or
- The person is stranded in his or her main residence for at least 24 hours; or
- The person’s main residence was without electricity, water, gas, sewerage service or another essential service for at least 48 hours, which was caused by damage to public or private infrastructure; or
- The person is the primary carer of a dependent child and any of the above applied to the dependent child.